1. Please send your child to school on time every single day. School starts at 8:10 a.m. Lateness is a disruption to instruction.
2. Please remember to check your child’s folder daily.
3. Please send your child to school with 5 sharpened #2 pencils daily.
4. All tests must be signed and returned back to school.
5. Please complete all daily homework assignments on the day in which it is assigned so that the students can master the concepts that they have learned at school that day.
6. If you have any questions or comments or concerns, feel free to send a note with your child or email me firstname.lastname@example.org
7. We will be giving the students an unannounced Reading Comprehension Exam every other week.
8. Please make sure that your child studies their weekly spelling words every night.
9. Our class mommies are Caprice Powe (Makhi’s mom) and Madeline Aliverio (Jaline’s Mom).
10. Just a reminder:
a. Spelling Homework: if you would like your child to just write the spelling words 5x’s each for Tuesday and Thursday instead of completing an activity from the sheet, that assignment will count for their spelling homework.
b. Math: Here is the link to go math to help you assist your child.
Just copy and paste the link into the web browser.
A great tool to help students learn their times tables. http://www.unionbeachschools.org/ubsd/Academics/3rd%20Grade/Michael%20DeMaio/
c. Reading Level Books: here is a link that you give you a list of leveled books your child should be reading. https://www.readinga-z.com/books/leveled-books/?lbFilter%5Blevel-O%5D
5/25 NYS Science Performance Testing will begin
6/6 NYS Science Written Test
Homework for the Week of May 23th – May 27th
– Reading Response –
* Read Chapter 3 in How To Steal a Dog
*Answer Chapter 2 Questions (students received a reading comprehension packet) *They are to answer questions in their reading notebooks.
*Be sure to write Questions and Answers
– Math Worksheet
– Science Chapter 14 Test on Thursday (please check student’s notebook for notes to study)
-Read and log in chart
-Science Textbook page 516 #’s 1- 10 (write out questions and answers)
Wednesday (NYS Science Performance Testing begins today)
– Reading Response
Read Chapter in How To Steal a Dog (chapters to be determined based on what we cover in the classroom) *Answer Chapter Questions (students received a reading comprehension packet) *They are to answer questions in their reading notebooks.
*Be sure to write questions and answers
– Math Worksheet
– Science Textbook page 516-517 #’s 11-16
– Study for Science Test tomorrow
Thursday (NYS Science Performance Testing)
-Read and log in chart
-Spelling Test Tomorrow
Friday (NYS Science Performance Test Make-Ups)
– Spelling Corrections and Signature
Units of Study
Students will begin a novel called “How To Steal a Dog”, this type of novel is called realistic fiction. We will be working on story elements, character, setting, plot, problem and solution.
Students will be learning a new type of writing genre. Students learned how to write a “How To” type of writing in third grade. In fourth they will go deeper into the genre and write a “How to” based on influences and impacts they have had in their lives.
Our focus will be on Forces and Motion
Forces are how all matter interacts. All movement begins and ends when a force interacts with an object. Simple machines can be thought of as systems for changing forces in order to do work. Chapter 14 will focus on electricity and magnetism.
We will continue with our unit on decimals. We will be using Singapore Math. Students will learn how to round decimals to the whole and tenth of a number. Students will learn how to add and subtract decimals. Students will also learn how to solve number stories with decimals.
Unit 4, chapter 6. Students will learn how early leaders created a democratic plan of government that reflected values and promoted what we call the common good.