1. Please send your child to school on time every single day. School starts at 8:10 a.m. Lateness is a disruption to instruction.
2. Please remember to check your child’s folder daily.
3. Please send your child to school with 5 sharpened #2 pencils daily.
4. All tests must be signed and returned back to school.
5. Please complete all daily homework assignments on the day in which it is assigned so that the students can master the concepts that they have learned at school that day.
6. If you have any questions or comments or concerns, feel free to send a note with your child or email me firstname.lastname@example.org
7. We will be giving the students an unannounced Reading Comprehension Exam every other week.
8. Please make sure that your child studies their weekly spelling words every night.
9. Our class mommies are Caprice Powe (Makhi’s mom) and Madeline Aliverio (Jaline’s Mom).
10. Just a reminder:
a. Spelling Homework: if you would like your child to just write the spelling words 5x’s each for Tuesday and Thursday instead of completing an activity from the sheet, that assignment will count for their spelling homework.
b. Math: Here is the link to go math to help you assist your child.
Just copy and paste the link into the web browser.
A great tool to help students learn their times tables. http://www.unionbeachschools.org/ubsd/Academics/3rd%20Grade/Michael%20DeMaio/
c. Reading Level Books: here is a link that you give you a list of leveled books your child should be reading. https://www.readinga-z.com/books/leveled-books/?lbFilter%5Blevel-O%5D
May 12th Parent/Teacher Conferences 4:30 – 7:30 **These conferences will not have appointment times. You will have a chance to look at your child’s portfolio. You will receive information about the 5th grade expectations.
Homework for the Week of May 9th – May 13th, 2016
– Reading Response FICTION# 13
– Math Chapter 9 Review Sheet
– Math Test Tomorrow
-Read and log in chart
– Reading Response FICTION# 14
– Math Worksheet
-Read and log in chart
-Spelling Test Tomorrow
– Spelling Corrections and Signature
Units of Study
Students will begin a novel called “How To Steal a Dog”, this type of novel is called realistic fiction. We will be working on story elements, character, setting, plot, problem and solution.
Students will be learning a new type of writing genre. Students learned how to write a “How To” type of writing in third grade. In fourth they will go deeper into the genre and write a “How to” based on influences and impacts they have had in their lives.
Our focus will be on Forces and Motion
Forces are how all matter interacts. All movement begins and ends when a force interacts with an object. Simple machines can be thought of as systems for changing forces in order to do work. Chapter 14 will focus on electricity and magnetism.
We will be wrapping up Chapter 9 this week. We will review how to write, read, and say decimals.
Unit 4, chapter 6. Students will learn how early leaders created a democratic plan of government that reflected values and promoted what we call the common good.