I hope you had a great week!
Below is the Class 5-306 newsletter for the upcoming week of: March 21, 2016-March 24, 2016.
Next week, the class will begin reading the book Wonder, by R.J. Palacio. This book is about a boy named August Pullman who has been homeschooled due to some complicated health issues related to a facial deformity and the rigorous surgery schedule that comes with it. But his parents realize that it is important for August to learn to socialize with others, so they enroll him in a new school starting in 5th grade. Throughout the book, August struggles to be accepted by his peers. This book contains many great lessons for children, such as the importance of accepting people for who they are and not being afraid to stand up for yourself.
5th grade ELA common core Literature standards:
Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.5.2
Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text, including how characters in a story or drama respond to challenges or how the speaker in a poem reflects upon a topic; summarize the text. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.5.4
Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative language such as metaphors and similes. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.5.10
By the end of the year, read and comprehend literature, including stories, dramas, and poetry, at the high end of the grades 4-5 text complexity band independently and proficiently.
Next week, we will continue working on our new Persuasive writing unit! The students will be picking out real world topics that they are concerned about and work on writing an essay that will persuade others of their viewpoint. We will also be practicing writing short and extended responses in preparation for the ELA exams next month.
5th grade ELA common core writing standards we will focus on include: CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.5.1
Write opinion pieces on topics or texts, supporting a point of view with reasons and information.
Introduce a topic or text clearly, state an opinion, and create an organizational structure in which ideas are logically grouped to support the writer’s purpose.
Vocabulary/Spelling Homework Contracts
There will be no new spelling words and definitions next week due to the shortened week and senior activities. Please review the words from the past weeks on the spelling city website!
Next week, we will continue to work on understanding different concepts of Volume. The Volume unit was introduced to students through concrete exploration of cubic units and will culminate with the development of the volume formula for right rectangular prisms. We will also be preparing for the upcoming state Math examinations next month.
Our learning will focus on the following 5th grade MATH Common Core Standards:
Recognize volume as an attribute of solid figures and understand concepts of volume measurement.
Measure volumes by counting unit cubes, using cubic cm, cubic in, cubic ft, and improvised units.
Relate volume to the operations of multiplication and addition and solve real world and mathematical problems involving volume.
Next week, students will continue the unit A Time of Change. Topics we will read about and discuss include:
• Why Native Americans in the United States were forced to move west
• The ways the Industrial Revolution improved people’s lives
• Westward Expansion in the 1800’s
• The Oregon Trail
Students will also continue presenting their State Tourism Director projects and learning all about the 50 states. Individual due dates and information about this project have been sent home. If you have any questions about the project, please let me know.
In our current unit of science, we will continue studying Changes to the Earth’s Surface. The objectives of this unit are: · Students will recognize landforms found on earth
· Students will understand the causes of erosion, deposition, and weathering
· Students will explain how water, wind, ice, and plants all cause landforms to change
· Students will observe how a model volcano changes the “landscape” after an eruption
1. Senior Dues- The Senior Dues are $150. The deadline to send in the full balance of the dues is Thursday, March 31st.
2. March Madness week is next week.
• Monday-Crazy Hair Day
• Tuesday-Twin Day
• Wednesday-Fashion Disaster Day
• Thursday-Senior Olympics, wear blue!
3. March 25, 2016- Good Friday, school closed.
4. March 29, 2016- The class will be taking a trip to Symphony Space. The trip slip and fees are due by March 22.
5. Graduation video- If you have pictures or video of your child from their time at P.S. 132, please send them in on a flash drive.
6. Test preparation homework- We will be completing a small amount of test sophistication in class in preparation for the upcoming state exams over the next few weeks. Homework may be assigned in the test preparation books, depending on what we are able to complete in class. You are also welcome to have your child complete additional work in the books at your discretion.
Please let me know of any questions or concerns about the week.
P.S. 132 Name____________________________
Class 5-306 Date_____________________________
5-306 Weekly Homework Assignments
There will not be new spelling words and definitions this week due to the shortened week and senior activities. Please review the words from the past weeks on the spelling city website!
Monday, March 21 2016
1. Math-a) weekly review sheet b) volume worksheet
2. Reading- Finish reading Wonder p.3-7 and complete comprehension questions.
3. Reminder: Bring in trip slip and money for trip to Symphony Space. Due tomorrow, March 22nd. 4. Reminder: Twin Day tomorrow.
Tuesday, March 22 2016
1. Math- a) weekly review sheet b)complete worksheet
2. Reading- Finish reading Wonder p.8-16 and complete comprehension questions. 3. Reminder: Fashion Disaster Day tomorrow.
Wednesday, March 23 2016
1. Math- weekly review sheet b)complete worksheet
2. Reading- Finish reading Wonder p.17-26 and complete comprehension questions. 3. Reminder: Wear blue for Senior Olympics tomorrow.
Thursday, March 24 2016
1. Math- a) weekly review sheet b)complete worksheet
2. Reading- Finish reading Wonder p.27-34 and complete comprehension questions.