February 9, 2016
1. Please send your child to school on time every single day. School starts at 8:10 a.m. Lateness is a disruption to instruction.
2. Please remember to check your child’s folder daily.
3. Please send your child to school with 5 sharpened #2 pencils daily.
4. All tests must be signed and returned back to school.
5. Please complete all daily homework assignments on the day in which it is assigned so that the students can master the concepts that they have learned at school that day.
6. If you have any questions or comments or concerns, feel free to send a note with your child or email me at your convenience. My email address is jmasullo.
7. I will be giving the students an unannounced Reading Comprehension Exam every other week. (Hint, Hint)
8. Please make sure that your child studies their weekly spelling words every night.
9. Reading Response questions will be given four times a week.
10. If you need to make an appointment to see me, please use the following times:
Tuesday-7:40 a.m.-8:10 a.m., 2:30 p.m.-3:10 p.m.
Monday through Friday-9:50 a.m.-Unless Schedule Changes
11. Please send in $5.00 for your child’s Time for Kids subscription if you have not done so already.
12. If you have not picked up your child’s report card yet, please make an appointment to meet with me.
13. If you received a notice about meeting with me, please send it back.
14. Please send back your child’s progress report.
15. Please send in your child’s trip slip and money.
***Please refer to Homework Notebook for any changes***
**Phrase of the Week-*metacognition *
Spelling Words for the Week of February 9, 2016
Homework for the Week of February 9, 2016
***Vacation Homework was Distributed on February 5th!
It Must be Submitted by Monday February 22nd***
|Read for 25 min. & Fill in Log|
|Tues.||Read for 25 min. & Fill in Log/Response||Activity #1-
Write 10 sentences using ten of your spelling words.
|Wed.||Read for 25 min. & Fill in Log/Response||Activity # 2-
Write 12 sentences using twelve of your spelling words.
|Thurs.||Read for 25 min. & Fill in Log & Response||Activity #3-
Write each word 3 x each/
|Friday||Read for 25 min. & Fill in Log||Test Signed & Corrected 3x each||Study Notes|
***New Reading Response Question Prompts are in your child’s folder***
***Guidelines for Fun Friday:***
Students may bring in board games and craft making activities
– Students are responsible for anything that they bring to school
The students are continuing to focus on “Response to Literature” this month. Throughout this unit, the students are continuing to read various non-fiction pieces. As they read a variety of texts, they are collecting ideas and using those ideas to write about topics that are interesting and are important in the world.
During the month of February, the students will be continuing to write responses to literature. Each essay will contain a thesis statement, supporting evidence, an introductory paragraph, body paragraphs explaining their reasons and a conclusion paragraph that sums up the whole essay. The students are responsible for using quotes to support their ideas as well as paraphrasing the information gathered from a text.
During the month of February, the students will be learning about Animal Adaptations. We will learn about how the bodies of various animals help them to meet their needs. We will also learn about how the behaviors of animals help them to meet their needs as well as how living things in the past compare to living things of today.
During the month of February, the students will be continuing to learn about Multiplication and Division. The students will be multiplying by 2 digit and three digit numbers. They will also be dividing by 2 digit numbers. In addition, they will be learning different strategies for multiplication and division. We will also begin a unit on Fractions. During this unit, the students will be learning about numerators and denominators as well as comparing fractions. We will also be using our knowledge of fractions to find equivalent fractions for fractions with like and unlike denominators.
During the month of February, the students will be learning about the Thirteen Colonies. They will be learning about who started the colonies, the characteristics of the colonies and about trade with England. They will also learn about the similarities and the differences between the Southern, Middle and New England Colonies.
ü February 8th-No School
ü No School For Students-Monday, February 15th-Friday, February 19th-Winter Recess
ü February 23rd-Queens Theatre in the Park Trip-$10.00-“Rosa Parks” Show
February Reading Log
|Date||Title of Book||Author of Book||Pages Read||Parent’s Initials||Teacher’s Signature|