Reading – This week our class will finish reading Who Was John F. Kennedy? by Yona Zeldis McDonough for our Biography unit. Students will continue to build their deep conversations in their reading groups. We will pay attention to questioning, main idea, important details, and context clues.
We will also continue working on Reader’s Theater plays in class based on several historical figures. Students will work in groups to practice these plays. This work focuses on fluency, expression and allows students an opportunity to practice really projecting their voice so the audience can hear them.
Writing – Our class will work on our Biography writing unit this month. This week students will work on drafting their body paragraphs. Students will focus on writing their biography in the order the events happened in their person’s life. Students will also work to create strong topic sentences at the beginning of each body paragraph.
Math – This week we will finish working on chapter 13: Customary Length. This chapter focuses on measurement using inches, feet, yards and miles. We will have a test on this chapter this week (date to be announced in homework notebook).
Social Studies – We will continue Unit 2: New York City Over Time focusing on lesson four: Technology and Change. Important vocabulary: technology, elevator and skyscraper.
Science – Students will continue Unit 2: Forces and Motion. This week we will learn about magnets and how they relate to force.
Habits of Mind- Thinking and Communicating with Clarity and Precision
“Remind students to avoid the vagueness and abstraction — and imprecision — of terms like always, never, all, everybody, teachers, celebrities, technology, they, we, should and must. Post these kinds of words or phrases where students can be reminded of them — and know to avoid them. And hopefully know why they should avoid them.”
**Review of last week’s spelling words
15. French horn
· Thursday February 4th- Charlotte’s Web performance
· Monday February 8th- No School: Chinese New Year
· Monday February 15-19th- No School: Winter Recess
· Please review your child’s progress report and send a signed copy back to school when you are finished looking it over.
· If your child is absent please email me or call the school to let us know.
· Please send your child with an appropriate morning snack to eat before the field trip on Thursday. We will be eating lunch when we return to school (this will be much later than the students normal lunch time). We will leave the school at approximately 10am. I will send out another email with selected chaperones. If you are chosen as a chaperone please send your $9 chaperone payment as soon as possible. Thanks!