Just A Few Reminders…
1. Please remember to check your child’s folder daily and send back all forms that must be completed the next school day.
2. Our February book order will come home next week! This month, every student earned a free $5.00 book if you spend $10.00. I attached the coupon to everyone’s book order. You can always place an order with our online code, which is HHM73.
3. Attendance and arriving to school on time is imperative. Attending school regularly is important to ensuring children develop a strong foundation for subsequent learning. Just a reminder that our school day begins at 8:00 am, and children are dismissed at 2:10 pm
4. Please remember we have snack every day in the afternoon. Please provide a healthy snack for your child in a labeled bag.
5. I am still missing a change of clothes for some students. Please send in a change of clothes in a ziploc bag labeled with your child’s name as soon as possible. In addition if your child has used their change of clothes please send in a replacement!
6. Food Allergies: If your child has a food allergy, please send in a current picture and write the kind of allergy on the back. For your child’s safety, it is of the utmost importance that this information is kept up-to-date in the cafeteria. Thank you!
8. Go to our class shutterfly page to sign up for Secret reader!!! The time slot is from 11:30 – 12:00 Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. Let me know if these dates or times don’t work for you and we can find something that does. https://mrspachuckisk107class20152016.shutterfly.com/
~ Mrs. Pachucki
Week of February 1, 2016
Reading: We will be reading The Story of Ruby Bridges by Robert Cole this week. The students really have seemed to enjoy learned about famous people from our past, specifically Abraham Lincoln, Rosa Parks and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The students will continue to make connections between what they learn in books and their own lives by thinking about how Ruby’s life is similar and different from their own.
Writing: The students are working on their Buddy Biographies. The students are continue to ask questions and learn more about their buddies by taking notes. This week they will focus on what their buddy wants to be when he/she grows up, adding a dedication page and using their writing tools to make beautiful kindergarten sentences.
Sight Words: get, so
Oral Vocabulary Words: event, courage, marshals, persuade, mob
Phonics/Phonemic Awareness: Letter/sound: Nn; D is for Dragon Dance by Ying Chang Compestine. This book will teach them about Chinese New Year by using every letter of the alphabet. The students are working on blending and segmenting unknown sounds in words they hear in the story.
Positions – Identify positions of objects in space; Use appropriate positional language to describe and compare
Before’ and ‘After’ – Use language such as before and after to describe relative positions in a sequence of events
Social Studies: Unit 2: Self and Others; Homes Keep Us Safe
Science: What Makes Shadows? Describe how shadows change throughout the day
February 8th – NO school in observance of Chinese New Year
February 15th -19th: Winter Recess, NO SCHOOL
February 22nd: Classes resume
February 25th: Field Trip to the Brooklyn Music School Playhouse
February 26th: 100th Day of School
March 2nd: Read Across America
Olivia turns SIX on February 5th! HAPPY BIRTHDAY OLIVIA!