Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a wonderful winter break. Thank you all for all the generous gifts. They certainly made the holidays brighter!
1. Please send your child to school on time every single day. School starts at 8:10 a.m. Lateness is a disruption to instruction. 2. Please remember to check your child’s folder daily.
3. Please send your child to school with 5 sharpened #2 pencils daily.
4. Please complete all daily homework assignments on the day in which it is assigned so that the students can master the concepts that they have learned at school that day.
5. If you send in money for fundraisers, book fair, trips, etc. please send it in an envelope with your child’s name.
6. If you have any questions or comments or concerns, feel free to send a note with your child or email me at your convenience. My email address is BConti2@schools.nyc.gov
Homework for the Week of January 4, 2016
***Please refer to Homework Notebook for any changes***
Reading and writing will be given based on what we accomplish each day. I am unable to assign them in advance this week. Math task due Friday.
We will begin our Response to Literature unit. Students will read “The Great Fire” by Jim Murphy. “The Great Fire is a nonfiction account of one of the most devastating disasters in American history. Author Jim Murphy uses historical research and eyewitness accounts to tell the story, including explanations of how the fire started, why it spread so quickly, and how class conflict affected the city during the disaster and in its aftermath. Sources include newspaper articles, drawings, maps, photographs, and first-person accounts from survivors.” This is going to be linked directly to writing this unit. Writing
Students will work on the Response to Literature unit. Each week students will write a 5 paragraph essay that responds to a question about “The Great Fire” or a supplemental article about a disaster. Math
We will begin a unit on fractions. Please make sure your child knows their basic multiplication facts as this is very important when working with fractions. Science
We will continue “A World of Living Things”. We will continue to learn how living things are classified. Social Studies
We will continue Unit 2- Three Worlds Meet.