Ms. Gurino & Ms. Aragona
Class 5-305 Newsletter
Week of December 11th
*Reminders: After School 2:30-4:00pm Wed. and Thurs. through April 13th.
Units of Study
Reading: This week the students will continue to our autobiography unit, My Life in Dog Years by Gary Paulsen. This reading unit is connected with our writing unit.
Writing: We are in the process of working on our new writing unit which is Autobiographies that is linked with our reading.
Math: We are currently working on decimals. We will learn how multiplying decimals as well as beginning how to divide decimals.
Science: We are learning about rocks and minerals. We have learned about Mohs Scale of Hardness and will continue to learn more about this topic.
Social Studies: We will begin chapter 2 –Early Civilizations in the Americas.
Spelling Words –
a. If the word ends in a vowel (a,e,i,o,u) + y then just add s. boy/boys, journey/journeys, key/keys, tray/trays.
b. If the word ends in a consonant + y then y changes to -ies
country/countries, baby/babies, body/bodies, memory/memories, sky/skies, variety / varieties.
lady hobby baby jury ally factory history
pony turkey party jockey valley army family
body candy colony berry story copy
– Spelling 5x each
– Reading Log. Read for 30 minutes and respond to one of the questions on the reading log sheet stapled in the homework folder. Answer on loose leaf to transfer to binder, 5 sentences minimum. Math Work sheet pg. 35
– Change spelling words to the plural forms
– Math worksheet pg. 36
– Read “Caesar” My Life In Dog Years- before reading make predictions about what will happen in the story and record in packet. Stopping along the way, continue this process and record it on the chart. – Due Friday
-Spelling ABC order
– Math butterfly task worksheet
– Study for tomorrows spelling test.
– Math worksheet pg. 37&38
– Reading log. Read for 40 minutes and respond to one of the questions on the reading log sheet stapled in the homework folder. Answer on loose leaf to transfer to binder, 5 sentences minimum.
– Math task Ed decimals
– Native American reading comprehension packet