Happy Monday! I hope you all enjoyed some time with your family and had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Thank you to all those families who contributed to our wonderful holiday celebration.
This week I am launching a new program called Word Generation. It was introduced to me by a former student who now attends I.S. 318. Word Generation is a program that will help the students to become better readers, writers, thinkers, and speakers. Since this program is new to me, and the students, the students will not have spelling words this week.
1. Please send your child to school on time every single day. School starts at 8:10 a.m. Lateness is a disruption to instruction. 2. Please remember to check your child’s folder daily.
3. Please send your child to school with 5 sharpened #2 pencils daily.
4. Please complete all daily homework assignments on the day in which it is assigned so that the students can master the concepts that they have learned at school that day.
5. If you send in money for fundraisers, book fair, trips, etc. please send it in an envelope with your child’s name.
6. If you have any questions or comments or concerns, feel free to send a note with your child or email me at your convenience. My email address is BConti2@schools.nyc.gov
1. Winter Recess- December 24-January 1, 2016. School reopens January 4th.
Homework for the Week of November 30, 2015
***Please refer to Homework Notebook for any changes***
Math task due on Friday.
Reading Response due on Friday.
Book project outline due on Friday.
We will continue our biography unit. The class will read a John F. Kennedy biography. They will learn how a biography is different from other types of books, and will look for specific details about JFK’s life.Students should be working on their book project. They have been asked to brainstorm a project idea. An short outline explaining the project is due Friday. Some examples are power points, interviews, board games. The project will be due at the end of December. Writing
In Writing, we will also continue the biography unit. The students will choose a biography from the library or book store. The book should be on or close to their individual reading level. Students should challenge themselves by also reading articles or multiple books about the same person (using multiple sources). Students will use these sources to write a biography on the person of their choice. Readings will be assigned for homework and the reading responses during this unit will be from the biographies the students are reading for their writing unit. The biography draft should be completed and ready for publishing by next week. We will work on revision and editing in class this week. Science
We will continue “A World of Living Things”. We will focus on the plant cell, the animal cell and understanding how plants and funghi are classified. Math
We will finish up our chapter on division. We will begin working on area and perimeter.
We will begin Unit 2- Three Worlds Meet. Lesson 1 will focus on first explorers.