Reading – This week our class will continue reading the non-fiction book Magic Tree House Fact Tracker: Pilgrims by Mary Pope Osborne. Students are working on improving the quality of their discussion in their small reading groups. They are taking on specific roles and learning how to talk deeply about the text. We will focus on summary as well as main idea and details as we read.
Writing – We will continue our next writing unit, Non-fiction: All About Essays. This week students will start drafting their writing piece. We will discuss the importance of a strong introduction to capture the reader’s attention. Students may also begin drafting their body paragraphs using the notes they took last week.
Math – Students are wrapping up Chapter 6: Multiplication of 2, 5, and 10 this week. We will have a test this week (date to be announced) and then continue on to chapter 7: Metric Length.
Social Studies – This week we will discuss and read about “Using Resources” lesson 6 in our social studies textbook. Important vocabulary: natural resource, human resource and environment.
Science – This week we will discuss fossils (lesson 3 in our science textbook). Important vocabulary: fossil, dinosaur, extinct.
Habits of Mind – Striving for accuracy and precision. This is an important one for us! Students should carefully check through their work and tests before handing in. As I tell the students, “It is not a race! I would rather you take your time and be the last one done than the first one finished with your work.”
· Thursday November 26th and Friday November 27th- No School: Thanksgiving Break
· Monday November 23rd- Field trip to Queens Zoo $5 for students, $8 for chaperones · Monday November 23rd- Picture Day
· Tuesday December 1st- Field Trip to Queensborough College: Smart Math $8 for students and chaperones
· We have two field trips coming up. If you would like to be a chaperone please check off the box but do not send payment until I confirm that you are chosen as a chaperone.
· Students will take their photos for picture day BEFORE the trip and can change before the trip if necessary. · Please return both signed report cards as soon as you are done reviewing them.